- shelter or protection from danger, trouble, etc.: to take refuge from a storm.
- a place of shelter, protection, or safety.
- anything to which one has recourse for aid, relief, or escape.
- Archaic. to afford refuge to.
- Archaic. to take refuge.
Origin of refuge
Synonyms for refuge
Examples from the Web for refuged
Historical Examples of refuged
There I refuged myself till the night came, beat upon by the waves till the breath was well-nigh battered out of my body.With Drake on the Spanish Main
Harold said as clearly as I speak now, and he refuged himself on Hugh's sound shoulder, and stretched out, and lay all still.'Rewards and Fairies
- shelter or protection, as from the weather or danger
- any place, person, action, or thing that offers or appears to offer protection, help, or reliefaccused of incompetence, he took refuge in lying
- another name for traffic island
- archaic to take refuge or give refuge to