- remonstrating; expostulatory.
- a person who remonstrates.
- (initial capital letter) one of the Dutch Arminians whose doctrinal differences from strict Calvinists were set forth in 1610.
Origin of remonstrant
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for remonstrant
The attitude of a remonstrant is the natural one of the vast majority of people.
The remonstrant of 1800 said "indelicate," of 1850 "immodest," of 1900 "impractical."
In 1800 the remonstrant was horrified at the study of geography.
Hope's tone was remonstrant, as she looked at him with startled eyes.Teddy: Her Book
Anna Chapin Ray
In 1680 another, Remonstrant, version was published in the same city.Journal of Jasper Danckaerts, 1679-1680
- a person who remonstrates, esp one who signs a remonstrance
- rare remonstrating or protesting
- a Dutch supporter of the Arminian Remonstrance of 1610
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012