- the act of asking for something to be given or done, especially as a favor or courtesy; solicitation or petition: At his request, they left.
- an instance of this: There have been many requests for the product.
- a written statement of petition: If you need supplies, send in a request.
- something asked for: to obtain one's request.
- the state of being asked for; demand.
- to ask for, especially politely or formally: He requested permission to speak.
- to ask or beg; bid (usually followed by a clause or an infinitive): to request that he leave; to request to be excused.
- to ask or beg (someone) to do something: He requested me to go.
- by request, in response or accession to a request: The orchestra played numbers by request.
Origin of request
Synonyms for requestSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for requestedneeded, desired, solicited, hunted, sought, demanded, petitioned, paged, summoned
Examples from the Web for requested
Contemporary Examples of requested
As for the federal authorities, they have made themselves available but the clergy have not requested special protection.Mexico’s Priests Are Marked for Murder
January 7, 2015
“Some tribes” have “requested guidance on the enforcement of the Controlled Substances Act (CSA),” the opening reads.Tribes to U.S. Government: Take Your Weed and Shove It
December 13, 2014
Buzzfeed posted a story noting that it had requested an interview with Whitaker and that he had declined.How the World Turned on Bill Cosby: A Day-by-Day Account
December 1, 2014
She wrote to the managers and requested it be made accessible to her, but her request was dismissed.TEDx Talks Have a Disability Problem—but This Incredible Young Woman Is Working to Change That
November 5, 2014
Like Donal, he requested to go to boarding school to escape his homelife; also like Donal, he was initially miserable there.Colm Toibin Describes The Creation Of His Quiet Masterpiece ‘Nora Webster’
November 3, 2014
Historical Examples of requested
I requested her to be present to-day to hear what I wished to say to you.Grace Harlowe's Return to Overton Campus
Jessie Graham Flower
"Give my compliments to your father," Burke requested courteously.Within the Law
Tim did instantly as requested, and helped Yates on with the coat.In the Midst of Alarms
I have been requested to tell this story, and exactly as it happened.The Underdog
F. Hopkinson Smith
I wish I had been able to please you with my requested advice.Clarissa, Volume 2 (of 9)
- to express a desire for, esp politely; ask for or demandto request a bottle of wine
- the act or an instance of requesting, esp in the form of a written statement; petition or solicitationa request for a song
- (as modifier)a request programme
- at the request of in accordance with the specific demand or wish of (someone)
- by request in accordance with someone's desire
- in request in demand; popularhe is in request in concert halls all over the world
- on request on the occasion of a demand or requestapplication forms are available on request
Word Origin for request
mid-14c., from Old French requeste (Modern French requête) "a request," from Vulgar Latin *requaesita, from Latin requisita "a thing asked for," fem. of requisitus "requested, demanded," from past participle stem of requirere (see require).
1530s, from request (n.) or from Middle French requester, from Old French requester "ask again, request, reclaim," from requeste. Related: Requested; requesting.
see at someone's request; by request; on request.