- the act of registering.
- an instance of this.
- an entry in a register.
- the group or number registered.
- an official act of registering one's name in the list of qualified voters.
- a certificate attesting to the fact that someone or something has been registered: a boat registration.
- the act or technique of registrating.
- the selection of stops made by an organist for a particular piece.
Origin of registration
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2019
- the act of registering or state of being registered
- (as modifier)a registration number
- an entry in a register
- a group of people, such as students, who register at a particular time
- a combination of organ or harpsichord stops used in the performance of a piece of music
- a tax payable by the owner of a motor vehicle
- the period paid for
1560s, from Middle French registration and directly from Medieval Latin registrationem (nominative registratio) "a registering," noun of action from past participle stem of registrare (see register (v.)).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper