- diligent and systematic inquiry or investigation into a subject in order to discover or revise facts, theories, applications, etc.: recent research in medicine.
- a particular instance or piece of research.
- to make researches; investigate carefully.
- to make an extensive investigation into: to research a matter thoroughly.
Origin of research
Synonyms for research
- systematic investigation to establish facts or principles or to collect information on a subject
- to carry out investigations into (a subject, problem, etc)
Word Origin for research
1570s, "act of searching closely," from Middle French recerche (1530s, Modern French recherche), back-formation from Old French recercher (see research (v.)). Meaning "scientific inquiry" is first attested 1630s. Phrase research and development is recorded from 1923.