- a person or thing that retards.
- any substance added to rubber to delay or prevent vulcanization.
- any substance added to delay a process.
- Building Trades. an admixture of concrete or plaster that retards its set.
Origin of retarder
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a person or thing that retards
- a substance added to slow down the rate of a chemical change, such as one added to cement to delay its setting
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for retarder
1640s, agent noun from retard (v.). Of railway braking mechanisms from 1937.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper