- a person, especially a member of the clergy, who promotes or holds religious revivals.
- a person who revives former customs, methods, etc.
Origin of revivalist
Related Words for revivalistevangelist, pastor, preacher, messenger, clergy, teacher, cleric, missionary, televangelist, apostle, missioner, promoter, herald, propagandist, minister, converter, revivalist, parson, divine, ecclesiastic
Examples from the Web for revivalist
Historical Examples of revivalist
When it was finished, the preacher sat down beside the revivalist.
Some had evidently come from afar, for the fame of the revivalist was widespread.
In this instance it was hard to say which was the more surprised, the revivalist or the congregation.
He was a Methodist preacher—a revivalist—and did his own exhorting.Personal Recollections of a Cavalryman
J. H. (James Harvey) Kidd
He must be some revivalist who has gone insane on one point.Lucy Maud Montgomery Short Stories, 1907 to 1908
Lucy Maud Montgomery
- a person who holds, promotes, or presides over religious revivals
- a person who revives customs, institutions, ideas, etc
- of, relating to, or characterizing revivalism or religious revivalsa revivalist meeting