- having a valid or just claim, as to some property or position; legitimate: the rightful owner of the farm.
- belonging or held by a valid or just claim: one's rightful property.
- equitable or just, as actions or a cause.
- proper; appropriate; fitting.
Origin of rightful
Related Words for rightfullyjustly, legally, legitimately, deservedly, truly, duly, fairly, honestly, properly, befittingly, equitably, fittingly, impartially
Examples from the Web for rightfully
Contemporary Examples of rightfully
It was up to the countries in which these acts of plunder had taken place to decide who rightfully owned the recovered works.My Grandfather's War: Recovering the Art the Nazis Stole
October 5, 2014
They would be rightfully surprised to see similar attitudes surviving a century later.Why the U.S. Army Is Stuck in the 19th Century
September 2, 2014
The election is on Tuesday and Freeman is rightfully concerned that his political views might infringe upon her chances.Awkward: This Democratic Judicial Candidate's Husband Is a White Supremacist
August 11, 2014
Many Americans today are alarmed, and rightfully so, by this concentration of wealth and power.Dawn of the Age of Oligarchy: the Alliance between Government and the 1%
June 28, 2014
Connecticut is rightfully famous for being the birthplace of the hot lobster roll and is widely known as the home of great pizza.The Real Cheeseburger Paradise
Jane & Michael Stern
June 22, 2014
Historical Examples of rightfully
Much has been given us, and much will rightfully be expected from us.
You are proud—and rightfully so—of your great author, Ray Cummings.
He is not represented as one in possession of wealth not rightfully his own.Jesus the Christ
James Edward Talmage
It is an ingenious scheme to rob me of what rightfully belongs to me.The Young Acrobat of the Great North American Circus
Horatio Alger Jr.
The company is a good one, and Beethoven rightfully belongs in it.A Popular History of the Art of Music
W. S. B. Mathews
- in accordance with what is right; proper or just
- (prenominal) having a legally or morally just claimthe rightful owner
- (prenominal) held by virtue of a legal or just claimmy rightful property