- having a valid or just claim, as to some property or position; legitimate: the rightful owner of the farm.
- belonging or held by a valid or just claim: one's rightful property.
- equitable or just, as actions or a cause.
- proper; appropriate; fitting.
Origin of rightful
Related Words for rightfulproper, deserved, lawful, applicable, appropriate, apt, authorized, befitting, canonical, due, ethical, fair, fit, fitting, honest, just, kosher, legal, merited, moral
Examples from the Web for rightful
Contemporary Examples of rightful
But fear of something that is not actually a threat is not rightful fear, but rather paranoia.Ebola, ISIS, the Border: So Much to Fear, So Little Time!
November 2, 2014
Imagine the rightful morning-after furor if a racial slight had been broadcast in primetime.Why ‘Black-ish’ Has a Gay Problem
October 3, 2014
Still, taking their rightful place behind the bar comes with a unique set of challenges.The Ladies Disrupting the Bartender Boys’ Club
September 7, 2014
Theoretically, the bank should have tried to find the rightful owner.Adolf Hitler: Secret Billionaire
June 27, 2014
“Fire cannot kill a dragon,” says Dany, who asserts her claim as the rightful Targaryen heir to the Iron Throne.Game of Thrones’ 8 Most Gruesome Deaths: From The Mountain’s Exploding Head Kill to Rat Torture
June 4, 2014
Historical Examples of rightful
Certes, we were traitors when we left our rightful lady for a stranger.Cameos from English History, from Rollo to Edward II
Charlotte Mary Yonge
But I thought you must leave the coach, with all the rest, to the rightful heir.Tales And Novels, Volume 4 (of 10)
Then you regained your sanity and put him in his rightful place.The Monster Men
Edgar Rice Burroughs
We did not want the farce, that night, even as our rightful due.Meadow Grass
And very glad her rightful lord and master was to have her back again!Cleo The Magnificent
- in accordance with what is right; proper or just
- (prenominal) having a legally or morally just claimthe rightful owner
- (prenominal) held by virtue of a legal or just claimmy rightful property