- Robert,1765–1815, U.S. engineer and inventor: builder of the first profitable steamboat.
- a city in central New York.
- a city in central Missouri.
- a male given name.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- Robert . 1765–1815, US engineer: designed the first successful steamboat (1807) and steam warship (1814)
- American engineer and inventor who developed the first useful submarine and torpedo (1800) and produced the first practical steamboat (1807).
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.