- Also called New York State. a state in the NE United States. 49,576 sq. mi. (128,400 sq. km). Capital: Albany. Abbreviation: NY (for use with zip code), N.Y.
- Also called New York City. a seaport in SE New York at the mouth of the Hudson: comprising the boroughs of Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, the Bronx, and Staten Island.
- Greater, New York City, the counties of Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland, and Westchester in New York, and the counties of Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Middlesex, Morris, Passaic, Somerset, and Union in New Jersey: the metropolitan area as defined by the U.S. census.
Examples from the Web for new york
Contemporary Examples of new york
The exhibition is at the New-York Historical Society, 170 Central Park West, until October 19.Madeline’s New York Moment: Ludwig Bemelmans’ Heroine Comes Home
July 8, 2014
As soon as you walk into the New-York Historical Society, you start to wonder if someone has been smoking something.The Art of the Grateful Dead
Judith H. Dobrzynski
March 4, 2010
Historical Examples of new york
Are they anything like the New-York Rings you have read about?
By heaven, New-York does not contain such a fortunate fellow!The Politician Out-Witted
In 1821 he was elected sheriff of the city and county of New-York.
Have you a good many houses in New-York made so in that 'ere way?The Contrast
In a few weeks after her return to New-York, the six months were completed.Evenings at Donaldson Manor
Maria J. McIntosh
- Also called: New York City a city in SE New York State, at the mouth of the Hudson River: the largest city and chief port of the US; settled by the Dutch as New Amsterdam in 1624 and captured by the British in 1664, when it was named New York; consists of five boroughs (Manhattan, the Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn, and Staten Island, which was called Richmond until 1975) and many smaller islands, with its commercial and financial centre in Manhattan; the country's leading commercial and industrial city. Pop: 8 085 742 (2003 est)Abbreviation: N.Y.C., NYC
- a state of the northeastern US: consists chiefly of a plateau with the Finger Lakes in the centre, the Adirondack Mountains in the northeast, the Catskill Mountains in the southeast, and Niagara Falls in the west. Capital: Albany. Pop: 19 190 115 (2003 est). Area: 123 882 sq km (47 831 sq miles)Abbreviation: N.Y., (with zip code) NY
former New Amsterdam (city), New Netherlands (colony), renamed after British acquisition in 1664 in honor of the Duke of York and Albany (1633-1701), the future James II, who had an interest in the territory. See York. Related: New Yorker. New York minute "very short time" attested by 1976.
State in the northeastern United States bordered by Lake Erie, Lake Ontario, and Ontario, Canada to the north and west; Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and the Atlantic Ocean to the east; and New Jersey and Pennsylvania to the south. Its capital is Albany, and its largest city is New York City.