- a city in and the capital of New York, in the E part, on the Hudson.
- a city in SW Georgia.
- a city in W Oregon.
- a seaport in SW Australia: resort.
- a city in W California, on San Francisco Bay.
- a river in central Canada, flowing E from W Ontario to James Bay. 610 miles (980 km) long.
- Also called New York State. a state in the NE United States. 49,576 sq. mi. (128,400 sq. km). Capital: Albany. Abbreviation: NY (for use with zip code), N.Y.
- Also called New York City. a seaport in SE New York at the mouth of the Hudson: comprising the boroughs of Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, the Bronx, and Staten Island.
- Greater, New York City, the counties of Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland, and Westchester in New York, and the counties of Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Middlesex, Morris, Passaic, Somerset, and Union in New Jersey: the metropolitan area as defined by the U.S. census.
Examples from the Web for albany
Tim Russert and I are driving back to the Albany airport after taking our kids to the baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown.Mario Cuomo, Always Moving Us Toward the Light
January 4, 2015
The pre-war records in Albany revealed a conviction the fellow earned at 16 before going off to war.A Million Ways to Die in Prison
December 8, 2014
In our Capitol, Albany lawmakers enjoy a flood of money, personal accounts, and protection for incumbents against attacks.Hunger Games Comes to New York State’s Public Schools
November 26, 2014
Albany is not a place filled with people, but merely a place where state government operates and Cuomo can work to pass laws.Andrew Cuomo Ignores Rural New York
November 8, 2014
Reality check: Perfect is never on the menu, especially in Albany.Hate Hyper-Partisanship? Support Redistricting Reform Now
November 3, 2014
The public offices at Albany were finished shortly after my arrival.Explorations in Australia
And Albany was then almost as much in the wilderness as Caughnawaga.
As for furs and leather and lumber, no other town in the colonies compared with Albany.
The life in Albany was to me as if I had become a citizen of some new world.
In reply to questions, I told her of my business and my daily life here in Albany.
- a city in E New York State, on the Hudson River: the state capital. Pop: 93 919 (2003 est)
- a river in central Canada, flowing east and northeast to James Bay. Length: 982 km (610 miles)
- a port in southwest Western Australia: founded as a penal colony. Pop: 22 415 (2001)
- Also called: New York City a city in SE New York State, at the mouth of the Hudson River: the largest city and chief port of the US; settled by the Dutch as New Amsterdam in 1624 and captured by the British in 1664, when it was named New York; consists of five boroughs (Manhattan, the Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn, and Staten Island, which was called Richmond until 1975) and many smaller islands, with its commercial and financial centre in Manhattan; the country's leading commercial and industrial city. Pop: 8 085 742 (2003 est)Abbreviation: N.Y.C., NYC
- a state of the northeastern US: consists chiefly of a plateau with the Finger Lakes in the centre, the Adirondack Mountains in the northeast, the Catskill Mountains in the southeast, and Niagara Falls in the west. Capital: Albany. Pop: 19 190 115 (2003 est). Area: 123 882 sq km (47 831 sq miles)Abbreviation: N.Y., (with zip code) NY
Word Origin and History for albany
former New Amsterdam (city), New Netherlands (colony), renamed after British acquisition in 1664 in honor of the Duke of York and Albany (1633-1701), the future James II, who had an interest in the territory. See York. Related: New Yorker. New York minute "very short time" attested by 1976.
State in the northeastern United States bordered by Lake Erie, Lake Ontario, and Ontario, Canada to the north and west; Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and the Atlantic Ocean to the east; and New Jersey and Pennsylvania to the south. Its capital is Albany, and its largest city is New York City.