[sey-doh-mas-uh-kiz-uh m, -maz-, sad-oh-]See more synonyms for sadomasochism on Thesaurus.com
Related formssa·do·mas·o·chist, noun, adjectivesa·do·mas·o·chis·tic, adjective
- interaction, especially sexual activity, in which one person enjoys inflicting physical or mental suffering on another person, who derives pleasure from experiencing pain.
- gratification, especially sexual, gained through inflicting or receiving pain; sadism and masochism combined. Abbreviation: S-M, S and M
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
British Dictionary definitions for sadomasochism
Derived Formssadomasochistic, adjective
- the combination of sadistic and masochistic elements in one person, characterized by both aggressive and submissive periods in relationships with others
- sexual practice in which one partner adopts a sadistic role and the other a masochistic oneAbbreviation: SM, S & M Compare sadism, masochism
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition
© William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
sadomasochism in Medicine
Related formssa′do•mas′o•chist n.sa′do•mas′o•chis′tic adj.
- A psychosexual disorder in which sexual gratification is obtained by engaging in sadistic and masochistic interactions.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary
Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.