- a member of the royal house of Italy that ruled from 1861 to 1946.
- French Savoie. a region in SE France, adjacent to the Swiss-Italian border: formerly a duchy; later a part of the kingdom of Sardinia; ceded to France, 1860.
Examples from the Web for savoy
He took her to the Savoy Grill to eat lobster, and to his favorite Mexican joint for hot enchiladas.Those Kansas City Blues: A Family History
October 24, 2014
After four years studying and working every conceivable station at the Savoy Hotel in Melbourne, I was officially a chef.A Young Chef Travels to Calabria, Italy, and Learns the Old Ways of Cooking
November 28, 2013
But by the late 1990s, the Savoy brand had petered out and the company was selling off bits and pieces.Savoir Beds’ Royal State Bed: Just Perfect, If You Have $175,000
June 27, 2013
One night at the Savoy hotel in London, Maggie shot him dead.The King and the Courtesan: Inside Edward VIII’s Steamy French Affair
May 14, 2013
Jamie Dettmer recalls long lunches with the Iron Lady at the Savoy Hotel—the whisky, the flirting, and the strong-arm tactics.The Margaret Thatcher I Knew
April 9, 2013
His aunt, the Duchess of Savoy, is a merry dame, and a wise!The Armourer's Prentices
Charlotte M. Yonge
Anything, even a republic was preferable to that House of Savoy.The Three Cities Trilogy, Complete
Gilbert put his arm in Henry's and made him move out of the Savoy courtyard.
The car turned into Fleet Street and quickly drove up to the Savoy.
But to go back again to the household of the Princess of Savoy.The Memoirs of Louis XIV., His Court and The Regency, Complete
Duc de Saint-Simon
- a cultivated variety of cabbage, Brassica oleracea capitata, having a compact head and wrinkled leaves
- an area of SE France, bordering on Italy, mainly in the Savoy Alps: a duchy in the late Middle Ages and part of the Kingdom of Sardinia from 1720 to 1860, when it became part of FranceFrench name: Savoie
- a noble family of Italy that ruled over the duchy of Savoy and became the royal house of Italy (1861–1946): the oldest reigning dynasty in Europe before the dissolution of the Italian monarchy
Word Origin and History for savoy
region in southeastern France (before 1800 part of the Kingdom of Sardinia), French Savoie, from Roman Sapaudia, of unknown origin. Related: Savoyard.