- a certificate representing a fraction of a share of stock.
- a certificate to be exchanged for goods, as at a company store.
- a certificate indicating the right of the holder to receive payment later in the form of cash, goods, or land.
Words nearby scrip
Origin of scrip1
OTHER WORDS FROM scripscrip·less, adjective
WORDS THAT MAY BE CONFUSED WITH scripscrip script
Definition for scrip (2 of 3)
Origin of scrip2
Definition for scrip (3 of 3)
Origin of scrip3
Examples from the Web for scrip
Buying prescription drugs without a scrip is a serious legal offense, as Rush Limbaugh could tell you.Don't Legalize Marijuana: The Case for More Paternalism in America|David Frum|January 10, 2013|DAILY BEAST
The brokers are, in fact, becoming bankers, and payments of all kinds are readily made in scrip.
Inability to compel payment of wages in cash; so that employer may pay in truck or scrip not redeemable in lawful money.Ethics|John Dewey and James Hayden Tufts
I knew very well,' said he, 'that it was money that was crying for Scrip Alf, and not people.'Arne: Early Tales and Sketches|Bjornstjerne Bjornson
British Dictionary definitions for scrip (1 of 3)
- a certificate representing a claim to part of a share of stock
- the shares allocated in a bonus issue