- a part cut off from a figure, especially a circular or spherical one, by a line or plane, as a part of a circular area contained by an arc and its chord or by two parallel lines or planes.
- Also called line segment. a finite section of a line.
- any of the rings that compose the body of an annelid or arthropod.
- any of the discrete parts of the body of an animal, especially of an arthropod.
- a portion of a program, often one that can be loaded and executed independently of other portions.
- a unit of data in a database.
verb (used with or without object)
LEARN THE SPANISH WORDS FOR THESE COMMON ANIMALS!
Origin of segment
synonym study for segment
OTHER WORDS FROM segment
Example sentences from the Web for segment
We’re leading the charge in the premium segment and see more people looking for high-quality offerings in the space everyday.Canned wine might have been primed for socializing in the era of social distancing|Rachel King|November 8, 2020|Fortune
That information allows advertisers to target different segments of readers based on a number of basic factors, ranging from their occupation to whether they have children.‘We seized on podcasts’: How Slate used audio as the foundation of its first-party data strategy|Max Willens|November 6, 2020|Digiday
Pinterest, Snap, YouTube and TikTok figure prominently in this segment as well.COVID helped drive record ad revenue for big tech in Q3|Greg Sterling|November 4, 2020|Search Engine Land
The move, opposed by the state’s large restaurant and hospitality industries battered by the hit to revenue because of the pandemic, is likely to impact a large segment of Florida’s workforce.
Think in terms of segments, and always get the latest word on water availability.
Notes: SEGMENTING CITRUS Using a paring knife, cut off the top and bottom of the fruit to expose the flesh.
Nor can it segment itself without also segmenting its linked totem kin or kins, which merely means segmenting the local tribe.The Secret of the Totem|Andrew Lang
British Dictionary definitions for segment
- a part of a line or curve between two points
- a part of a plane or solid figure cut off by an intersecting line, plane, or planes, esp one between a chord and an arc of a circle