- a part cut off from a figure, especially a circular or spherical one, by a line or plane, as a part of a circular area contained by an arc and its chord or by two parallel lines or planes.
- Also called line segment. a finite section of a line.
- any of the rings that compose the body of an annelid or arthropod.
- any of the discrete parts of the body of an animal, especially of an arthropod.
- a portion of a program, often one that can be loaded and executed independently of other portions.
- a unit of data in a database.
verb (used with or without object)
FOR POSTERITY’S SAKE, TAKE THIS WORD OF THE DAY QUIZ!
Origin of segment
OTHER WORDS FROM segment
Words nearby segment
Example sentences from the Web for segment
And then there was the segment of the media that actively cheered it all on.The U.S. Will Torture Again—and We’re All to Blame|Michael Tomasky|December 12, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Take Too Many Cooks: a fever dream of a segment that aired at 4:00am earlier this week.Jimmy Kimmel Pranks Kids (Again), Taylor Swift’s 1989 Aerobics, and More Viral Videos|The Daily Beast Video|November 9, 2014|DAILY BEAST
In one segment, she stresses how important a good latte is—and "no one does it better than New York."
At one point, I was invited to appear on a segment of “Outside the Lines.”
Much of the segment focused on Roger Goodell and whether he would hang on to his job.
The transverse lines in the figure are merely impressed, and do not represent a segment.An Introduction to Entomology: Vol. IV (of 4)|William Kirby
He dared not put it down, for fear of seeing some segment of Pillbot flash back.The 4-D Doodler|Graph Waldeyer
The caterpillar is pale grey, with brown stripes; and the head and second segment are yellowish brown.Butterflies and Moths|William S. Furneaux
Body rapidly narrowed to the eighteenth segment, but only very gradually thereafter.
As armature, commutator, and shaft rotate, the brushes connect first with one segment of the commutator and then with the other.General Science|Bertha M. Clark
British Dictionary definitions for segment
- a part of a line or curve between two points
- a part of a plane or solid figure cut off by an intersecting line, plane, or planes, esp one between a chord and an arc of a circle