- the making of an incision.
- an incision.
- a small unit consisting of two or more squads.
- Also called staff section. any of the subdivisions of a staff.
- a small tactical division in naval and air units.
- a division of a sleeping car containing both an upper and a lower berth.
- a length of trackage, roadbed, signal equipment, etc., maintained by one crew.
verb (used with object)
TAKE THIS QUIZ TO SEE WHAT YOU KNOW ABOUT 2ND-3RD GRADE VOCAB FROM BOOKS!
Origin of section
OTHER WORDS FROM sectionhalf-sec·tion, nounmul·ti·sec·tion, adjectiveun·sec·tioned, adjective
Words nearby section
Example sentences from the Web for section
His section on why he and his wife split—he essentially chose soccer over her—would be risky if its candor were not so refreshing.
Manttan is keen to carry out research on that Burmese side of the railway as his father worked on that section.
At 3:45 am Sunday police arrested 29 year-old Eric Linsker at his apartment in the Crown Heights section of Brooklyn.
Editor's Note: This article has been revised to include the definition and text of Section 12.
Wahlberg grew up the youngest of nine children in a broken home in the rough Dorchester section of Boston.Mark Wahlberg’s Pardon Plea: A Look Back At His Troubling, Violent, and Racist Rap Sheet|Marlow Stern|December 7, 2014|DAILY BEAST
These facts may also be well brought out by another mode of section, viz.
We have Pezizæ with a subiculum in the section Tapesia, but the veriest tyro would not confound them with species of Parmelia.Fungi: Their Nature and Uses|Mordecai Cubitt Cooke
In this way an explosion against one section did not necessarily damage any other part.Submarine Warfare of To-day|Charles W. Domville-Fife
All that section of the new city was given over to workers' homes and here and there a store had been built.Poor White|Sherwood Anderson
These relationships are discussed more fully in the section on mammalian associates of Microtus.
British Dictionary definitions for section
- a plane surface formed by cutting through a solid
- the shape or area of such a plane surfaceCompare cross section (def. 1)
- an extended division of a composition or movement that forms a coherent part of the structurethe development section
- a division in an orchestra, band, etc, containing instruments belonging to the same classthe brass section