- an extensive, continuous part of a surface, space, or body: a region of the earth.
- Usually regions. the vast or indefinite entirety of a space or area, or something compared to one: the regions of the firmament; the regions of the mind.
- a part of the earth's surface (land or sea) of considerable and usually indefinite extent: a tropical region.
- a district without respect to boundaries or extent: a charming region in Connecticut.
- a part or division of the universe, as the heavens: a galactic region.
- a large indefinite area or range of something specified; sphere: a region of authority.
- an area of interest, activity, pursuit, etc.; field: studies in the region of logic.
- an administrative division of a city or territory.
- Zoogeography. a major faunal area of the earth's surface, sometimes one regarded as a division of a larger area.
- Anatomy. a place in or a division of the body or a part of the body: the abdominal region.
- Also called domain.an open connected set.
- the union of such a set and some or all of its boundary points.
Origin of region
Synonyms for regionSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for regionprovince, sector, land, neighborhood, district, zone, suburb, country, locality, field, part, place, world, territory, domain, locale, terrain, scene, walk, sphere
Examples from the Web for region
Contemporary Examples of region
And that may well be what is happening in the Barnett Shale region around, yes, Dallas and Irving.26 Earthquakes Later, Fracking’s Smoking Gun Is in Texas
January 7, 2015
Instead, spa hotels filled up with over 30,000 refugees from the war-troubled Donbas region of eastern Ukraine.Is Putin Turning to Terrorism in Ukraine?
January 6, 2015
In doing so he exposed the failure of other airlines in the region to see the huge pent-up demand for cheap travel.Annoying Airport Delays Might Prevent You From Becoming the Next AirAsia 8501
January 6, 2015
The region is marketed for visitors as “Aryan Valley,” and many citizens have taken to tacking on “Aryan” to their last names.The Himalayas’ Hidden Aryans
January 3, 2015
The weather on the route of AirAsia Flight 8501 was not unusual for the region and the season.Did Bad Weather Bring Down AirAsia 8501?
December 29, 2014
Historical Examples of region
But all this was as yet only in the region of the feeling, not at all in that of the thinking.
God's beginnings are imperceptible, whether in the region of soul or of matter.
He might be a good doctor and a philanthropic one; his visits to this region looked like it.Ester Ried Yet Speaking
From many points of view this region of survivals is full of interest.
We are now in the region of the Causses; around us rise the spurs of Sauveterre and Svrac.
- any large, indefinite, and continuous part of a surface or space
- an area considered as a unit for geographical, functional, social, or cultural reasons
- an administrative division of a countryTuscany is one of the regions of the Italian Republic
- a realm or sphere of activity or interest
- range, area, or scopein what region is the price likely to be?
- a division or part of the bodaythe lumbar region
- (in Scotland from 1975 until 1996) any of the nine territorial divisions into which the mainland of Scotland was divided for purposes of local government; replaced in 1996 by council areasSee also islands council
Word Origin for region
Word Origin and History for region
c.1300, "tract of land of a considerable but indefinite extent," from Anglo-French regioun, Old French region "land, region, province" (12c.), from Latin regionem (nominative regio) "a district, portion of a country, territory, district; a direction, line; boundary line, limit," noun of state from past participle stem of regere "to direct, rule" (see regal). Phrase in the region of "about" (of numbers, etc.) is recorded from 1961.
- An area of the body having natural or arbitrary boundaries.
- A portion of the body having a special nervous or vascular supply.
- A part of an organ with a special function.
Idioms and Phrases with region
see in the neighborhood (region) of.