noun, plural cat·e·go·ries.
- (in Aristotelian philosophy) any of the fundamental modes of existence, such as substance, quality, and quantity, as determined by analysis of the different possible kinds of predication.
- (in Kantian philosophy) any of the fundamental principles of the understanding, as the principle of causation.
- any classification of terms that is ultimate and not susceptible to further analysis.
THINK YOU’VE GOT A HANDLE ON THIS US STATE NICKNAME QUIZ?
Words nearby category
Example sentences from the Web for category
These include a controversial category of apps known as “spyware” or “stalkerware,” which governments or controlling partners install on victims’ phones to track them in secret.iPhone’s new ‘orange dot’ feature warns you when an app is listening|Jeff|September 17, 2020|Fortune
TikTok allows only one brand to take over a category each day, meaning that your ad will play on a single day only.
In past weeks, recipients from various categories were presented awards during a series of intimate and technically seamless Zoom sessions.D.C. theater scene adapts with films, concerts, and more|Patrick Folliard|September 17, 2020|Washington Blade
The former category typically is used for those expected to last less than one year and the latter for one to four years, although each can be extended up to twice as long with OPM approval.Nonpermanent federal workers could be hired for up to 10 years under Trump proposal|Eric Yoder|September 16, 2020|Washington Post
Some upcoming events don’t fit in our regular fall arts categories.
Veep Two HBO comedies make it into the Best Comedy category and neither of them are Veep?15 Enraging Golden Globe TV Snubs and Surprises: Amy Poehler, 'Mad Men' & More|Kevin Fallon|December 11, 2014|DAILY BEAST
God kills every living thing (non-fish, non-Noah category) in a global flood.Christian Bale: One Man's Moses Is Another Man's Terrorist|Candida Moss, Joel Baden|December 7, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Five years later she would be the first woman to win a Monster Jam Finals Championship in the freestyle category.The Moms of Monster Jam Drive Trucks, Buck Macho Culture|Eliza Krigman|November 22, 2014|DAILY BEAST
That goes without saying, as no one woman could aptly represent everyone who identifies within that category.
Most of us in that category can remember the thrill of seeing our words appear in public for the first time.
But we must not class in this unclean category Lord Spunyarn and his friend Haggard, who were both playing at the big table.The Pit Town Coronet, Volume I (of 3)|Charles James Wills
Still, I mean no offence when I put tea in the same category with Tobacco.
The insurgent troops were included in the above category, but their arms were restored to them on their leaving the city.The Philippine Islands|John Foreman
The strong probability is that this gland belongs in the same category with other embryonic survivals yet to be pointed out.Man And His Ancestor|Charles Morris
This category includes domestic help and other forms of personalized aid.Hallowed Heritage: The Life of Virginia|Dorothy M. Torpey
British Dictionary definitions for category
noun plural -ries
- (in the philosophy of Aristotle) any one of ten most fundamental modes of being, such as quantity, quality, and substance
- (in the philosophy of Kant) one of twelve concepts required by human beings to interpret the empirical world
- any set of objects, concepts, or expressions distinguished from others within some logical or linguistic theory by the intelligibility of a specific set of statements concerning themSee also category mistake