- a piece of ground devoted to sports or contests; playing field.
- (in betting) all the contestants or numbers that are grouped together as one: to bet on the field in a horse race.
- (in football) the players on the playing ground.
- the area in which field events are held.
- the team in the field, as opposed to the one at bat.
- the outfield.
- the scene or area of active military operations.
- a battleground.
- a battle.
- Informal. an area located away from the headquarters of a commander.
- one or more related characters treated as a unit and constituting part of a record, for purposes of input, processing, output, or storage by a computer: If the hours-worked field is blank or zero, the program does not write a check for that employee.
- (in a punch card) any number of columns regularly used for recording the same information.
- to catch or pick up (the ball) in play: The shortstop fielded the grounder and threw to first for the out.
- to place (a player, group of players, or a team) in the field to play.
- of, taking place, or competed for on the field and not on the track, as the discus throw or shot put.
- of or relating to field events.
Idioms about field
- in actual use or in a situation simulating actual use or application; away from a laboratory, workshop, or the like: The machine was tested for six months in the field.
- in contact with a prime source of basic data: The anthropologist is working in the field in Nigeria.
- within a given profession: The public knows little of him, but in the field he's known as a fine mathematician.
- to date a number of persons rather than only one: He wanted to play the field for a few years before settling down.
- to vary one's activities.
- to begin to play, as in football or baseball; go into action.
- to go into battle:They took the field at dawn.
Origin of field
OTHER WORDS FROM fieldmis·field, verbun·field·ed, adjective
Words nearby field
Other definitions for field (2 of 2)
How to use field in a sentence
Options that are shown in yellow text will indicate which fields can be customized — like specifying which smart light you want to turn off or on, for instance.Amazon makes Alexa Routines shareable|Sarah Perez|September 17, 2020|TechCrunch
If you need to take work to and from the office, or out in the field to clients, this is a great option to keep files clean, organized, and safe.Great filing cabinets for your home office|PopSci Commerce Team|September 17, 2020|Popular-Science
It was amazing to hear directly from the top leaders in the field.Tower 28 Announces Winner Of The Clean Beauty Summer School Program|Hope Wright|September 17, 2020|Essence.com
One ripple in a field would be an electron, another a photon, and interactions between them seemed to explain all electromagnetic events.How Mathematical ‘Hocus-Pocus’ Saved Particle Physics|Charlie Wood|September 17, 2020|Quanta Magazine
The scientists initially noticed that this species, called Regimbartia attenuata, had a habit of hanging out rather nonchalantly with frogs on paddy fields in Japan.This scientist thought he’d found the source of all sexual energy|PopSci Staff|September 17, 2020|Popular-Science
The eating disorder field remains divided over the potential efficacy of such measures.How Skinny Is Too Skinny? Israel Bans ‘Underweight’ Models|Carrie Arnold|January 8, 2015|DAILY BEAST
“He was a brave field commander and an expert in intelligence, and in organizing popular and tribal forces,” said the eulogist.What an Iranian Funeral Tells Us About the Wars in Iraq|IranWire|January 6, 2015|DAILY BEAST
If anything, officer training and in-field policing methodologies reinforce those beliefs.What Would Happen if I Got in White Cop’s Face?|Goldie Taylor|December 30, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Then the commercial weight loss behemoths Weight Watchers and Jenny Craig joined this crowded field.Why Your New Year’s Diet Will Fail|Carrie Arnold|December 30, 2014|DAILY BEAST
It was, we have to have a team, all the right balls, a big field, and everything has to look right and be right.Tim Howard’s Wall of Intensity|William O’Connor|December 22, 2014|DAILY BEAST
He distinguished himself in several campaigns, especially in the Peninsular war, and was raised to the rank of field marshal.The Every Day Book of History and Chronology|Joel Munsell
We had six field-pieces, but we only took four, harnessed wit twice the usual number of horses.
There were two battalions, together about a thousand men; and they brought a field-piece with them.
The reveillée of the sleeping Mexicans was the discharge of our two field-pieces loaded with canister.
Then the enemy's howitzers and field guns had it all their own way, forcing attack to yield a lot of ground.Gallipoli Diary, Volume I|Ian Hamilton
British Dictionary definitions for field (1 of 2)
- all the runners in a particular race or competitors in a competition
- the runners in a race or competitors in a competition excluding the favourite
- an area of human activitythe field of human knowledge
- a sphere or division of knowledge, interest, etchis field is physics
- a place away from the laboratory, office, library, etc, usually out of doors, where practical work is done or original material or data collected
- (as modifier)a field course
- See field of force
- a region of space that is a vector field
- a region of space under the influence of some scalar quantity, such as temperature
- a set of one or more characters comprising a unit of information
- a predetermined section of a record
- military in an area in which operations are in progress
- actively or closely involved with or working on something (rather than being in a more remote or administrative position)
Word Origin for field
British Dictionary definitions for field (2 of 2)
Scientific definitions for field
- In a database, a space for a single item of information contained in a record.
- An interface element in a graphical user interface that accepts the input of text.
Other Idioms and Phrases with field
In addition to the idiom beginning with field
- field day
- cover the field
- far afield
- out in left field
- play the field
- take the field