[nur-ish-muh nt, nuhr-]See more synonyms for nourishment on Thesaurus.com
- something that nourishes; food, nutriment, or sustenance.
- the act of nourishing.
- the state of being nourished.
- a process, system, method, etc., of providing or administering nourishment: a treatise on the nourishment of international trade.
Origin of nourishment
1375–1425; late Middle English norysshementRelated formsnon·nour·ish·ment, nouno·ver·nour·ish·ment, nounre·nour·ish·ment, nounself-nour·ish·ment, noun
< Middle French norissement.
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for self-nourishment
It must have some source of self-nourishment, for it can derive little from the sand whereon it rests.
British Dictionary definitions for self-nourishment
- the act or state of nourishing
- a substance that nourishes; food; nutriment
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition
© William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for self-nourishment
early 15c., "food, sustenance," from Old French norissement "food, nourishment," from norrir (see nourish). From c.1300 as "fostering."
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
self-nourishment in Medicine
- Something that nourishes; food.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary
Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.