- to announce or declare in an official or formal manner: to proclaim war.
- to announce or declare in an open or ostentatious way: to proclaim one's opinions.
- to indicate or make known publicly or openly.
- to extol or praise publicly: Let them proclaim the Lord.
- to declare (a territory, district, etc.) subject to particular legal restrictions.
- to declare to be an outlaw, evildoer, or the like.
- to denounce or prohibit publicly.
- to make a proclamation.
Origin of proclaim
SynonymsSee more synonyms for proclaim on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for self-proclaimed
According to the Los Angeles Times, Atkins got married in 1981 to “a self-proclaimed Texas millionaire” named Donald Laisure.Charles Manson, Ted Bundy & Other Notorious Jailhouse Weddings
November 18, 2014
The self-proclaimed ‘marriage capital of the world’ gets on board with same-sex matrimony.Gay Weddings Come to Las Vegas’s Elvis Chapel
John L. Smith
October 17, 2014
He now stands in the self-proclaimed caliphate, also holding a child as well as an automatic weapon.ISIS Has a Bigger Coalition Than We Do
October 15, 2014
He used the Arab acronym for ISIS or ISIL, as the self-proclaimed “Islamic State” commonly is known.Arab Kings vs. ISIS Barbarians
September 23, 2014
At first the self-proclaimed “malternative” was a commercial success.In Japan, Zima Haz No Zexual Preference
Jake Adelstein, Angela Erika Kubo
September 13, 2014
He'd sent down a missile to help the self-proclaimed rebels there.Talents, Incorporated
William Fitzgerald Jenkins
Revolt against all convention was in fact his self-proclaimed mission.A Short Biographical Dictionary of English Literature
John W. Cousin
When this self-proclaimed adventurer was really aroused he dropped the rough argot of the plains.The Bartlett Mystery
The ring in which these people whirl about was full of deluded men, on the day of our visit, self-proclaimed disciples.Due West
Maturin Murray Ballou
Too many of Superior's self-proclaimed saviors had been caught with their motives showing.And Then the Town Took Off
- proclaimed or described by oneselfthe self-proclaimed leader
- (may take a clause as object) to announce publicly
- (may take a clause as object) to show or indicate plainly
- to praise or extol