- of or relating to the round preceding the final one in a tournament from which losers are eliminated.
- (in boxing) of or relating to the second most important bout on a card, usually immediately preceding the main bout.
- a semifinal contest or round.
- (in boxing) the second most important bout on a card.
Origin of semifinal
Examples from the Web for semifinal
Contemporary Examples of semifinal
In her semifinal match, he joked “Now you can get to lie down for a while” in the post-game chat.Jeopardy! Champion Julia Collins’s Brain Feels Like Mush
November 20, 2014
Take the semifinal for what it was: a battle to the bitter end between two proud football nations.Argentina Drops the Netherlands on Penalties in World Cup Semifinal
July 10, 2014
Without him, and Tiago Silva, Brazil will go into its semifinal against Germany severely weakened.Brazil and Colombia Bring the Ugly Game
July 4, 2014
She reached the final four of the 2000 Australian Open, her first Grand Slam semifinal in nine years.Jennifer Capriati’s Legacy: Tennis Great or Troubled Star?
March 22, 2013
The crowds ganged up on him, especially in the U.S. Open semifinal in 2011, down two match points against Federer.Tennis Phenom Andy Murray’s Personality Problem
January 27, 2013
- the round before the final in a competition
- (as modifier)the semifinal draw