- next after the sixty-ninth; being the ordinal number for 70.
- being one of 70 equal parts.
- a seventieth part, especially of one (1/70).
- the seventieth member of a series.
Origin of seventieth
Examples from the Web for seventieth
Contemporary Examples of seventieth
It would seem, at best, an uneasy fit: Paul Newman and his seventieth birthday, this month.The Stacks: The Eyes of Winter: Paul Newman at 70
October 11, 2014
Historical Examples of seventieth
December 29, 1879, Mr. Gladstone attained the seventieth year of his age.The Grand Old Man
Richard B. Cook
On his seventieth birthday Mr. Bright justified what he called the policy of 1846.Captains of Industry
There he remained till his death in 929, in the seventieth year of his age.Shakespeare's Family
Mrs. C. C. Stopes
On his seventieth birthday Mark Twain was dazzled by his liberty.The Ordeal of Mark Twain
Van Wyck Brooks
He died in that city on the 9th of August 1672, in the seventieth year of his age.Letters of Samuel Rutherford
- (usually prenominal)
- being the ordinal number of seventy in numbering or counting order, position, time, etc: often written 70th
- (as noun)the seventieth in line
- one of 70 approximately equal parts of something
- (as modifier)a seventieth part
- the fraction equal to one divided by 70 (1/70)