- a cardinal number, 10 times 7.
- a symbol for this number, as 70 or LXX.
- a set of this many persons or things.
- seventies, the numbers, years, degrees, or the like from 70 through 79, as in referring to numbered streets, indicating the years of a lifetime or of a century, or referring to degrees of temperature: They live in the Seventies. His uncle is in his early seventies. It was in the seventies yesterday.
- the Seventy, the body of scholars who produced the Septuagint.
- amounting to 70 in number.
Origin of seventy
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for seventy
Seventy percent of Hispanic Americans reported being very or somewhat concerned about climate change, and 57 percent of blacks.Extreme Weather? Blame the End Times
November 28, 2014
Seventy three percent of students at David Douglas High School in Portland, Oregon are low-income.What It Takes to Fix American Education
November 23, 2014
Seventy years ago, a little girl was buried alive by a German missile.Life Under Air Strikes: Children Under Fire Will Never Forget — or Forgive
August 3, 2014
Seventy years ago the fate of Europe was decided in a few bloody hours on the beaches of Normandy.The Deadly Trap Behind D-Day’s Beaches
June 5, 2014
Seventy percent of these went to British, Irish, and Germans.Ellis Island’s Doubled-Edged Legacy
May 25, 2014
If we fail, there must be a retreat westwards at least seventy miles.Explorations in Australia
I guessed that he was probably seventy, though he might as easily be much younger.The Bacillus of Beauty
Our whole passage was stormy, and lasted seventy days, as near as I can recollect.Ned Myers
James Fenimore Cooper
"Four francs seventy," said Temple through the shout of laughter.The Incomplete Amorist
But she would forgive him seventy times seven because he is her husband.Echoes of the War
J. M. Barrie
- the cardinal number that is the product of ten and sevenSee also number (def. 1)
- a numeral, 70, LXX, etc, representing this number
- (plural) the numbers 70–79, esp the 70th to the 79th year of a person's life or of a particular century
- the amount or quantity that is seven times as big as ten
- something represented by, representing, or consisting of 70 units
- amounting to seventythe seventy varieties of fabric
- (as pronoun)to invite seventy to the wedding
Old English seofentig
Word Origin and History for seventy
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper