- a person skilled in shooting, especially with a rifle.
- a rating below expert and above marksman, assigned to one who has qualified with a specific score in rifle marksmanship.
- a person who has achieved such a rating.
- an athlete noted for having accurate aim in a sport, as basketball, hockey, archery, golf, etc.
- Slang. a person who engages in short-term business dealings with the purpose of making a large, quick profit without regard to scruple.
- a spade that has a very narrow blade, used as a garden or nursery tool.
Origin of sharpshooter
Examples from the Web for sharpshooter
Contemporary Examples of sharpshooter
He qualified as “sharpshooter” on the M1911A1-45 ACP handgun in 1994.The (Sloppy) Swift-Boating of Michigan Democrat Gary Peters
October 13, 2014
The pro-Sarkozy conservative daily Le Figaro calls Royal “a sharpshooter.”Francois Hollande and Segolene Royal: France’s Political Fairytale
April 5, 2012
Historical Examples of sharpshooter
"He's had your goat ever since the meeting opened," grinned the Sharpshooter.
This by way of reminding the Sharpshooter of something which he preferred to forget.
The Sharpshooter flashed his gold teeth at him in a cheerful smile.
"No-o," said The Sharpshooter, his lips pursed and his brow wrinkled.
He was killed by a bullet from the gun of a sharpshooter in Middletown.Personal Recollections of a Cavalryman
J. H. (James Harvey) Kidd
- an expert marksman, esp with a rifle