- a frozen fruit-flavored mixture, similar to an ice, but with milk, egg white, or gelatin added.
- British. a drink made of sweetened fruit juice diluted with water and ice.
- a frozen fruit or vegetable purée, served either between courses to cleanse the palate or as a dessert.
Origin of sherbet
1595–1605; < Turkish < Persian sharbat < Arabic sharbah a drink
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for sherbert
Sherbert was a landmark decision of the liberal Warren Court.
Two years later, in 1963, the Supreme Court stepped through that door in Sherbert v. Verner.
- a fruit-flavoured slightly effervescent powder, eaten as a sweet or used to make a drinklemon sherbet
- US and Canadian a water ice made from fruit juice, egg whites, milk, etcAlso called (in Britain and certain other countries): sorbet
- Australian slang beer
- a cooling Oriental drink of sweetened fruit juice
- Southern African informal a euphemistic word for shit taboo
C17: from Turkish şerbet, from Persian sharbat, from Arabic sharbah drink, from shariba to drink
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for sherbert
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper