- a shoelace.
- a very small amount of money.
- shoestrings. shoestring potatoes.
- consisting of or characterized by a small amount of money: living on a shoestring budget.
Origin of shoestring
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- another word for shoelace
- a very small or petty amount of money (esp in the phrase on a shoestring)
- (as modifier)a shoestring budget
Idioms and Phrases with shoestring
see on a shoestring.
The American Heritage® Idioms Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company.