- a person of less than average stature (sometimes used as a disparaging and offensive term of address).
- a garment designed to be of short length, as a hospital bed jacket.
- Also shaw·ty [shaw-tee] /ˈʃɔ ti/. Slang.
- a girl or woman: We watched the shorties on the dance floor, all lookin' so fine.
- a girlfriend or sweetheart: Me and my shorty went to that new club over on Ninth last night; what a scene!
- noting a garment designed to be of short length: a shorty nightgown; shorty pajamas.
Origin of shorty
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for shortie
She was clad in a shortie wrapper that showed off her race-horse legs.Card Trick
Walter Bupp AKA Randall Garrett
Then Shortie was on his feet, desperate determination showing in every line of his body.
Shortie bounced ten feet in the light gravity, and grimly wallowed to his feet.
- plural shortiesa person or thing that is extremely short
- (as modifier)a shortie nightdress
- a Scot name for shortbread
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for shortie
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper