- like a sketch; giving only outlines or essentials.
- imperfect, incomplete, slight, or superficial: a sketchy meal.
- unreliable or unsafe: That street looks pretty sketchy.
- disreputable or shady: I'd stay away from him; he's got a sketchy past.
Origin of sketchy
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for sketchiness
Historical Examples of sketchiness
- characteristic of a sketch; existing only in outline
- superficial or slight
- informal uncertain or unreliable
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper