- a digital icon, a sequence of keyboard symbols, or a handwritten or printed equivalent, that serves to represent a facial expression, as :‐) for a smiling face or ;‐) for a winking face.Compare emoticon.
- Usually smile face. a drawing of a face consisting of a usually yellow circle with an upturned curve for a smile and two dots for eyes.
- cheerful; smiling.
Origin of smiley
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- given to smiling; cheerful
- depicting a smilea smiley badge
- any of a group of symbols depicting a smile, or other facial expression, used in electronic mail
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper