- of the body; bodily; physical.
- Anatomy, Zoology. pertaining to the body wall of an animal.
- Cell Biology. pertaining to or affecting the somatic cells, as distinguished from the germ cells.
Origin of somatic
SynonymsSee more synonyms for somatic on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for somatic
And 44 years down the line I still get that… I still get that very strange, bodily, somatic thing.The Writer and the Potter: Edmund De Waal on his New York Debut
September 12, 2013
They have all kinds of somatic pains, body pains that come and go.America’s Depression Diagnoses Epidemic and How to Fix It
March 30, 2013
It is as physiological as any other somatic change in the puerperium.The Ethics of Medical Homicide and Mutilation
From the walls of the dorsal set the somatic musculature is formed.The Origin of Vertebrates
Walter Holbrook Gaskell
Few of them bore the somatic signs of intimacy with Mr. Barleycorn.Idling in Italy
An attempt was made to determine the somatic number of chromosomes.Studies in Spermatogenesis (Part 1 of 2)
Nettie Maria Stevens
The somatic or historical sense is in every case the first that must be ascertained.History of Dogma, Volume 2 (of 7)
- of or relating to the somasomatic cells
- of or relating to an animal body or body wall as distinct from the viscera, limbs, and head
- of or relating to the human body as distinct from the minda somatic disease
Word Origin and History for somatic
"pertaining to the body" (as distinct from the soul, spirit, or mind), 1775, from French somatique and directly from Greek somatikos "of the body," from soma (genitive somatos) "the body" (see somato-).
- Of, relating to, or affecting the body, especially as distinguished from a body part, the mind, or the environment; corporeal or physical.
- Of or relating to the wall of the body cavity, especially as distinguished from the head, limbs, or viscera.
- Relating to the vegetative, as distinguished from the generative, functions.
- Of or relating to a somatic cell or the somatoplasm.
- Relating to the body.♦ The cells of the body with the exception of the reproductive cells (gametes) are known as somatic cells. See Note at mitosis.