- any of the longitudinal series of segments or parts into which the body of certain animals is divided; a metamere.
- Embryology. one member of a series of paired segments into which the thickened dorsal zone of mesoderm is divided.
Origin of somite
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- embryol any of a series of dorsal paired segments of mesoderm occurring along the notochord in vertebrate embryos. It develops into muscle and bone in the adult animal
- zoology another name for metamere
C19: from Greek sōma a body
- A segmental mass of mesoderm in the vertebrate embryo, occurring in pairs along the notochord and developing into muscles and vertebrae.