- (of a disease) produced by a special cause or infection.
- (of a remedy) having special effect in the prevention or cure of a certain disease.
- designating a physical constant that, for a particular substance, is expressed as the ratio of the quantity in the substance to the quantity in an equal volume of a standard substance, as water or air.
- designating a physical constant that expresses a property or effect as a quantity per unit length, area, volume, or mass.
WHO SAID IT: A QUIZ ON PRESIDENTIAL WIT AND WISDOM
Origin of specific
synonym study for specific
OTHER WORDS FROM specific
Example sentences from the Web for specific
Even when pressed, the department has been less than forthcoming with specifics on police shootings in the city.Chicago’s Cops Don’t Even Get Investigated for Shooting People in the Back|Justin Glawe|December 5, 2014|DAILY BEAST
But the specifics of “sex” were, and in many states still are, loosely defined.
He sticks only to specifics—the dates of operations, the number of people killed on both sides, even the number of bullets fired.Heart of Darkness: Into Afghanistan’s Taliban Valley|Matt Trevithick, Daniel Seckman|November 15, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The whole picture does not include a whole lot of specifics.
He said he was chasing a good story, but kept the specifics close to his chest.
Thus, for diarrha, fever, and rheumatism there were no specifics.The British Expedition to the Crimea|William Howard Russell
There were forty or fifty kinds of simples and curiosities, cure-alls, and specifics.Inca Land|Hiram Bingham
If I ask him about his symptoms, he gets angry; and if I offer him any of my specifics, he has the ill-manners to exclaim: 'Bosh!
As we have already shown, specifics are known to produce symptoms similar to the diseases they cure.Curiosities of Medical Experience|J. G. (John Gideon) Millingen
Nor are golf, angling, and the composition of verse, specifics that the rural dominie can afford to despise.Literary Tours in The Highlands and Islands of Scotland|Daniel Turner Holmes
British Dictionary definitions for specific
- characteristic of a property of a particular substance, esp in relation to the same property of a standard reference substancespecific gravity
- characteristic of a property of a particular substance per unit mass, length, area, volume, etcspecific heat
- (of an extensive physical quantity) divided by massspecific heat capacity; specific volume