- a male germ cell (primary spermatocyte) that gives rise by meiosis to a pair of haploid cells (secondary spermatocytes) that give rise in turn to spermatids.
Origin of spermatocyte
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- zoology an immature male germ cell, developed from a spermatogonium, that gives rise, by meiosis, to four spermatids
- botany a male germ cell that develops into an antherozoid
- A diploid cell that undergoes meiosis to form four spermatids.
- A diploid cell that undergoes meiosis to form four spermatids, cells which then develop into sperm. See more at spermatogenesis.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.