- engaging in, disposed to, or interested in open-air or athletic sports: a rugged, sporting man.
- concerned with or suitable for such sports: sporting equipment.
- interested in or connected with sports or pursuits involving betting or gambling: the sporting life of Las Vegas.
- involving or inducing the taking of risk, as in a sport.
Origin of sporting
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- (prenominal) of, relating to, or used or engaged in a sport or sportsseveral sporting interests
- relating or conforming to sportsmanship; fair
- of, relating to, or characterized by an interest in gambling
- willing to take a risk
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
"characterized by conduct constant with that of a sportsman," 1799 (e.g. sporting chance, 1897), from present participle of sport (v.).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper