- a strong, focused light thrown upon a particular spot, as on a small area of a stage or in a television studio, for making some object, person, or group especially conspicuous.
- a lamp for producing such a light.
- a brilliant light with a focused beam, mounted on the side of an automobile and used for illuminating objects not within range of the headlights.
- the area of immediate or conspicuous public attention: Asia is in the spotlight now.
- to direct the beam of a spotlight upon; light with a spotlight.
- to make conspicuous; call attention to: Newspapers spotlighted the story for a week.
- to hunt (animals) using a spotlight in order to temporarily blind or confuse them.
- to hunt by using a spotlight.
Origin of spotlight
Related Words for spotlightinglimelight, publicity, light, notoriety, fame, highlight, publicize, accentuate, illuminate, interest, flashlight, floodlight, feature
Examples from the Web for spotlighting
Contemporary Examples of spotlighting
Never did Glee lose its commitment to spotlighting sensitive issues.'Glee' 100th Episode: The Sad Ballad of an Elderly Trainwreck
March 19, 2014
Eleanor Clift on how they are spotlighting cuts in GOP districts.Republicans Feeling Sequester Pain as Democrats Highlight Local Cutbacks
March 12, 2013
CORNISH: Now, what about some of the other business people Romney is spotlighting?The Big Lie Debunked
July 26, 2012
While spotlighting several Patriot memes, the first book in the trilogy has an almost militant multicultural drumbeat.The Patriot Movement’s New Bestseller Tests Their Anti-Racism
June 8, 2012
Tricia Romano talks to a producer about spotlighting the issue—and the backlash.Sesame Street's Hunger Crusade
October 8, 2011
- a powerful light focused so as to illuminate a small area, usually mounted so that it can be directed at will
- the spotlight the focus of attention
- to direct a spotlight on
- to focus attention on
Word Origin and History for spotlighting
Idioms and Phrases with spotlighting
see in the limelight (spotlight); steal the show (spotlight).