- a standard model of automobile changed in various ways for racing purposes.
- Also called cattle car. Railroads. a boxcar for carrying livestock.
Origin of stock car
1855–60, Americanism for def 2
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Related Words for stock cardragster
Examples from the Web for stock car
Historical Examples of stock car
It was true: the passengers of the Oklahoma were crowded like cattle on a Kansas stock-car.The Magnetic North
Elizabeth Robins (C. E. Raimond)
- a car, usually a production saloon, strengthened and modified for a form of racing in which the cars often collide
- (as modifier)stock-car racing
- US and Canadian a railway wagon designed for carrying livestockAlso called (in Britain and certain other countries): cattle truck
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper