- (of Germanic verbs) having vowel change in the root in inflected forms, as the English verbs sing, sang, sung; ride, rode, ridden.
- (of Germanic nouns and adjectives) inflected with endings that are generally distinctive of case, number, and gender, as German alter Mann “old man.”
- belonging to the morphophonemically less regular of two inflectional subtypes.
OTHER WORDS FOR strong
OPPOSITES FOR strong
Idioms about strong
Origin of strong
OTHER WORDS FROM strong
How to use strong in a sentence
That would be stronger than Hurricane Harvey had at landfall in 2017.Hurricane Laura is expected to join these devastating storms as the most destructive ever|Bernhard Warner|August 27, 2020|Fortune
In general, larger surface area means a stronger clinging force, Donihue explains.Analyze This: Hurricanes may help lizards evolve better grips|Carolyn Wilke|August 26, 2020|Science News For Students
City dwellers and contractors in particular are reliant on a strong online offering.How Lowe’s CEO is overhauling its e-commerce to capitalize on the home projects boom|Phil Wahba|August 19, 2020|Fortune
The bigger the gulf between the two, the stronger the springboard for value.The champ’s big comeback: Why beaten-down value stocks are poised to thrive|Shawn Tully|August 18, 2020|Fortune
The increase comes off a strong 2019 in which Carrot saw its growth triple.Exclusive: Carrot Fertility closes $24 million Series B in a sign of the sector’s strength|Beth Kowitt|August 18, 2020|Fortune
Democrats would be mistaken to underestimate Mike Huckabee, perhaps the strongest Republican presidential contender.Why This Liberal Hearts Huckabee|Sally Kohn|January 6, 2015|DAILY BEAST
The tradition of baking of Stollen is probably the strongest in Dresden, Germany.One Cake to Rule Them All: How Stollen Stole Our Hearts|Molly Hannon|December 24, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Season three was the strongest one the series has produced yet, to boot.15 Enraging Golden Globe TV Snubs and Surprises: Amy Poehler, 'Mad Men' & More|Kevin Fallon|December 11, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The victim was himself dangerous, and also the strongest man in the yard.A Million Ways to Die in Prison|Daniel Genis|December 8, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The GOP is fielding its strongest slate of presidential candidates in forever.Ben Carson’s Bizarrely Serious, Seriously Bizarre Campaign Crew|Olivia Nuzzi|November 12, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The relation existing between the balmy plant and the commerce of the world is of the strongest kind.
James I. sent forth his famous "Counterblast" and in the strongest manner condemned its use.
One of the strongest objections against the use of the "Indian novelty" was its ruinous cost at this period.
And yet the demand has the clearest and strongest basis of natural and eternal justice, as any fair mind must confess.Glances at Europe|Horace Greeley
Reverend McCarthy, one of the oldest, and regarded as one of the strongest, one of the ablest ministers to such a forsaken charge.The Homesteader|Oscar Micheaux
British Dictionary definitions for strong
- (postpositive) containing or having a specified numbera navy 40 000 strong
- (in combination)a 40 000-strong navy
- denoting or belonging to a class of verbs, in certain languages including the Germanic languages, whose conjugation shows vowel gradation, as sing, sang, sung
- belonging to any part-of-speech class, in any of various languages, whose inflections follow the less regular of two possible patternsCompare weak (def. 10)
Derived forms of strongstrongish, adjectivestrongly, adverbstrongness, noun
Word Origin for strong
Other Idioms and Phrases with strong
In addition to the idioms beginning with strong
- strong point
- strong silent type
- strong suit
- come on strong