or strong man
- a person who performs remarkable feats of strength, as in a circus.
- a political leader who controls by force; dictator.
- the most powerful or influential person in an organization or business, by reason of skill in the formulation and execution of plans, work, etc.
Origin of strongman
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for strongman
The New York Daily News declared that “Russian strongman Vladimir Putin has unleashed a weapon of mass distraction.”Ex-Spy Anna Chapman, From Russia Unloved
November 27, 2014
Egyptian strongman al Sisi may be more intent on obliterating Hamas than the Israelis are.Gazans Turn Their Rage on the Arab Leaders Who Watched Them Die
August 7, 2014
Björnsson is an Icelandic strongman competitor who won the 2011 Strongest Man in Iceland contest.Meet Game of Thrones’ Sexy New Season 4 Cast: The Red Viper, Porn Stars, and More
April 4, 2014
One person who does not want a strongman is Abdullah Hegazy.Did Egypt's Arab Spring Martyrs Die in Vain?
January 26, 2014
Could the collapse of the so-called Yasuní-ITT initiative be a turning point for the Bolivarian strongman?Is Rafael Correa the Next Hugo Chavez?
August 22, 2013
- a performer, esp one in a circus, who performs feats of strength
- any person regarded as a source of power, capability, initiative, etc