- to place in a subclass.
Origin of subclass
Related Words for subclassposition, line, place, tract, set, family, grade, rank, species, slot, estate, breed, pigeonhole, hierarchy, station, branch, feather, type, sort, description
Examples from the Web for subclass
Historical Examples of subclass
Difficulty of entitling a subclass corresponding to every combination.The Classification of Patents
United States Patent Office
This superorder is equivalent to the subclass Azygostei of Hay.A Guide to the Study of Fishes, Volume 1 (of 2)
David Starr Jordan
This subclass, like the previous one, contains only a single order, viz.The Vertebrate Skeleton
Sidney H. Reynolds
This subclass contains some of the most remarkable of the seaweeds.The Sea-beach at Ebb-tide
Augusta Foote Arnold
There remains the fourth subclass—Dipnoi or Dipneusti, the lungfishes.Zoology: The Science of Animal Life
- a principal subdivision of a class
- biology a taxonomic group that is a subdivision of a class
- maths another name for subset (def. 1)
- (tr) to assign to a subclass
- A taxonomic category of ranking between a class and an order.
- A taxonomic category of related organisms ranking below a class and containing one or more orders.