- existing, situated, or operating below the surface of the earth; underground.
- existing or operating out of sight or secretly; hidden or secret.
- a person or thing that is subterranean.
- a subterrane.
Origin of subterranean
Examples from the Web for subterraneous
Historical Examples of subterraneous
Most of the work is not subterraneous; it is done in the full light of day.Hittel on Gold Mines and Mining
John S. Hittell
Like the subterraneous flue that warms my myrtles, he does good and is unseen.The Works of William Cowper
A goat, which fell into the opening, discovered the subterraneous passage.
He stood in the centre, but did not realize the nature of that subterraneous structure.The conquest of Rome
Harry did not cease for my reproof, but his laugh was inward and subterraneous.The Days of My Life
- Also: subterraneous, subterrestrial situated, living, or operating below the surface of the earth
- existing or operating in concealment