- of, pertaining to, bearing, or shaped like a nail, claw, or hoof.
Origin of ungual
Examples from the Web for subungual
Historical Examples of subungual
The bony outgrowth from the terminal phalanx of the great toe—known as the subungual exostosis—is described and figured on p. 404.
Subungual exostosis is an osteoma growing from the terminal phalanx of the great toe (Fig. 107).
- of, relating to, or affecting the fingernails or toenails
- of or relating to an unguis
Word Origin for ungual
"pertaining to a nail or claw," 1834, from Latin unguis "a claw, nail" (cognate with Greek onyx, Old English nægel, Old Norse nagl "nail;" see nail (n.)).
- Beneath a fingernail or toenail.
- Of or relating to fingernails or toenails.