- the favorable or prosperous termination of attempts or endeavors; the accomplishment of one's goals.
- the attainment of wealth, position, honors, or the like.
- a performance or achievement that is marked by success, as by the attainment of honors: The play was an instant success.
- a person or thing that has had success, as measured by attainment of goals, wealth, etc.: She was a great success on the talk show.
- Obsolete. outcome.
Origin of success
Synonyms for successSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for successprosperity, advance, achievement, win, accomplishment, profit, benefit, victory, gain, realization, progress, happiness, fame, triumph, boom, arrival, hit, savvy, ascendancy, walkover
Examples from the Web for success
Contemporary Examples of success
As a means of preventing tooth decay in those cities that do fluoridate, the practice certainly looks like a success.Anti-Fluoriders Are The OG Anti-Vaxxers
July 27, 2016
The grim instability of shelter life is hardly a recipe for success under the best of circumstances.His First Day Out Of Jail After 40 Years: Adjusting To Life Outside
January 3, 2015
When you think about all of that, the success of this Comeback run is all the more impressive.
Of course, this is The Comeback, and so "success" is a relative word.
Lee explains the success of its store-within-a-store strategy, particularly as regarding Samsung.Best Buy Punches Back at Amazon
December 27, 2014
Historical Examples of success
I ventured to predict that success awaited him in the rubber business.
That one example, moreover, has been a success as unqualified as undeniable.'Tis Sixty Years Since
Charles Francis Adams
They tried it out at home and when it proved a success, they carried it abroad.Ancient Man
Hendrik Willem van Loon
She was properly presented; but as yet she has had no success at all.'Malbone
Thomas Wentworth Higginson
Thus was the work begun by Wilberforce finally crowned with success.The Grand Old Man
Richard B. Cook
- the favourable outcome of something attempted
- the attainment of wealth, fame, etc
- an action, performance, etc, that is characterized by success
- a person or thing that is successful
- obsolete any outcome
Word Origin for success
Word Origin and History for success
1530s, "result, outcome," from Latin successus "an advance, succession, happy outcome," from succedere "come after" (see succeed). Meaning "accomplishment of desired end" (good success) first recorded 1580s.
The moral flabbiness born of the bitch-goddess SUCCESS. That -- with the squalid interpretation put on the word success -- is our national disease. [William James to H.G. Wells, Sept. 11, 1906]
Success story is attested from 1925. Among the French phrases used in English late 19c. were succès d'estime "cordial reception given to a literary work out of respect rather than admiration" and succès de scandale "success (especially of a work of art) dependent upon its scandalous character."