- the surface, outer face, or outside of a thing.
- the outward appearance, especially as distinguished from the inner nature.
Origin of superficies
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for superficies
The valuation of his house at Rome (superficies aedium) was fixed at HS.Plutarch's Lives, Volume IV
More than half of this superficies is comprised in the main island.Japan
If A be really a proprium of superficies, it cannot be also proprium of body.Aristotle
He feels hopelessly incidental to the superficies of the earth.Letters from America
A superficies is that which professes to have principle, but has no consistency.
- a surface or outer face
- the outward form of a thing
C16: from Latin: upper side, from super- + faciēs face
- The outer surface of an area or a body.
- External appearance or aspect.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.