- to go beyond in amount, extent, or degree; be greater than; exceed.
- to go beyond in excellence or achievement; be superior to; excel: He surpassed his brother in sports.
- to be beyond the range or capacity of; transcend: misery that surpasses description.
Origin of surpass
Synonyms for surpassSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for surpassoutweigh, exceed, beat, outperform, top, eclipse, rank, outstrip, pass, outpace, transcend, better, trump, outshine, cap, excel, overstep, overshadow, outdistance, outmatch
Examples from the Web for surpass
Contemporary Examples of surpass
Aim to surpass your funding goal by 100 percent in the early days of your campaign.How to Win at Crowdfunding
April 27, 2014
Obama officials have to do a far better job of helping all Syrians see that this nightmarish future could surpass the Assad past.Face the Assad Reality In Syria
Frank G. Wisner, Leslie H. Gelb
January 26, 2014
Home ownership reached record highs that have been difficult to surpass.The Revolt Against the Masses and the Roots of Modern Liberalism
January 26, 2014
Adjusted for inflation, that would equal or surpass the oil shocks of 1973 and 1979.The End of Iran’s Oil Shield
November 12, 2013
It will likely surpass that level in 2013, according to Rhodium Group, which does detailed tracking of Chinese investment.Forget the Headlines: Chinese Buying Big in US
May 22, 2013
Historical Examples of surpass
But I say to all men, what we have achieved in liberty, we will surpass in greater liberty.
He made our dreaming: shall it surpass in its making his mighty self?Weighed and Wanting
Only one thing could surpass him: the scythe of death which blindly mows the world.The Three Cities Trilogy, Complete
It is of course impossible to surpass perfection, but it is possible to be made one with it.Albert Durer
T. Sturge Moore
What hunt of spectres could surpass that dread pursuit and flight!Barnaby Rudge
- to be greater than in degree, extent, etc
- to be superior to in achievement or excellence
- to overstep the limit or range ofthe theory surpasses my comprehension