[sim-puh-thoh-mi-met-ik, -mahy-]Physiology, Pharmacology
- mimicking stimulation of the sympathetic nervous system.
- an agent that mimics the stimulation of the sympathetic nervous system.
Origin of sympathomimetic
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- causing a physiological effect similar to that produced by stimulation of the sympathetic nervous system
- a sympathomimetic drugCompare sympatholytic
Word Origin for sympathomimetic
C20: from sympath (etic) + mimetic
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- Producing physiological effects resembling those caused by the action of the sympathetic nervous system.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.