- opposing the effects of stimulation of the sympathetic nervous system.
Origin of sympatholytic
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- inhibiting or antagonistic to nerve impulses of the sympathetic nervous system
- of or relating to such inhibition
- a sympatholytic drugCompare sympathomimetic
Word Origin for sympatholytic
C20: from sympath (etic) + -lytic
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- Opposing the physiological effects caused by stimulation of the sympathetic nervous system.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.