- the sliding sight on a leveling rod.
- any marker on which sights are taken.
verb (used with object)
Words nearby target
Idioms for target
- properly aimed or on the right course toward a target.
- accurate, correct, or valid: Their description of the event was on target.
- filling or meeting a requirement or expectations: The amount of supplies we took was right on target.
Origin of target
OTHER WORDS FROM targettar·get·a·ble, adjectivetar·get·less, adjectiveun·tar·get·a·ble, adjectiveun·tar·get·ed, adjective
Examples from the Web for targeted
A drawing of three skulls along with a message in English appeared on computer screens at the targeted firms.Inside the ‘Surprisingly Great’ North Korean Hacker Hotel|Michael Daly|December 20, 2014|DAILY BEAST
On Sept. 7, 1996, Tupac was targeted and killed in a drive-by shooting in Las Vegas.Rapper Bobby Shmurda Arrested at New York’s Notorious Quad Studios|M.L. Nestel|December 17, 2014|DAILY BEAST
After failing to reach their targeted goal on crowdfunding sites, the café became a media sensation following a piece on Buzzfeed.
That message for Ebola with the footballers is targeted to West Africa.Idris Elba on Eric Garner, ‘Mi Mandela,’ and Selling Weed to Dave Chappelle|Marlow Stern|December 6, 2014|DAILY BEAST
There must certainly be male teachers at the same school who could have been targeted.Abu Dhabi Stabbing: Why Law Enforcement Hates The Niqab & Burqa|Christopher Dickey|December 3, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Even the big boats take one of two that are buoyed and targeted.Motor Boat Boys on the Great Lakes|Louis Arundel
The perception that he personally might be targeted appeared to get Gadhafi's attention.
Military force would be applied in a purer form and targeted primarily against the military capabilities of an opponent.
Jordan gave no hint of how Buck's shaft might have targeted his intentions, but climbed into the car and started it.Rimrock Trail|J. Allan Dunn
He saw the man he had targeted drop his bow and fall to the ground.The Saracen: The Holy War|Robert Shea
British Dictionary definitions for targeted
- an object or area at which an archer or marksman aims, usually a round flat surface marked with concentric rings
- (as modifier)target practice
- any point or area aimed at; the object of an attack or a takeover bid
- (as modifier)target area; target company
- a substance, object, or system subjected to bombardment by electrons or other particles, or to irradiation
- an electrode in a television camera tube whose surface, on which image information is stored, is scanned by the electron beam
verb -gets, -geting or -geted (tr)
Derived forms of targettargetless, adjective
Word Origin for target
Medicine definitions for targeted
Idioms and Phrases with targeted
see on target; sitting duck (target).